We engineered our Rodeo 2.0 650b wheelset from scratch around the intense riding conditions that we encounter here in Colorado.
To us a 650b rim is not just a smaller 700c rim, it is a rim built around an entirely different style of riding. We mount 650b wheels on our bikes for our biggest, most aggressive days in the saddle. This could include anything from Front Range singletrack to the steep, primitive mining roads of the San Juans to the famed Leadville 100 mountain bike race. We’ve tackled all of these challenges on our rims and have come away supremely proud of what we’ve created.
Our 650b rim is wider than the 700c 2.0 rim because on our builds it serves as a platform for generally wider tires. A wider tire needs a wider rim bed so our internal width was bumped to 24.5mm and 30.5mm external.
Our 650b rim has a hookless rim profile as found on most modern MTB rims. A hookless profile has a thicker, more robust impact surface for low tire pressures that we often run in rugged conditions. We didn’t just stop at hookless though, we also added extra layers of carbon on the strike surface of the rim to further reinforce against impacts. We feel that an off road rim should resist those accidental or unintended impacts out on the trail without failure as much as possible otherwise low pressures allowed by large offroad tires can’t me tuned to their full potential.
Our 650b rims have a second generation carbon layup for some pretty incredible weight savings. Our rims come in at 385 grams while still having incredible strength. Rotational weight is the most important type of weight and removing unnecessary weight from the rim results in a livelier, quicker feeling bike.
All Rodeo wheels are built to order at the time the wheel is purchased. We build every Rodeo wheelset by hand at The Lab in Denver, Colorado.
All of our wheels since 2014 have been built by a single set of hands at Magnetic Wheel Co. Steve is a wheelbuilder with over 20 years of experience. He builds with extreme attention to detail and quality and is no doubt the primary reason our wheel builds are so incredibly reliable.
Our rims can be ordered in custom builds via email and our standard builds are a spec set through relentless testing over many years and tens of thousands of miles of riding in every condition imaginable.
Full custom builds are available with hubs from; Chris King, White Industries, DT Swiss, Industry 9, Paul Components, Onyx, and Phil Wood. Front dynamo hubs by Shutter Precision, and Schmidt Son. Many combinations of hubs, spokes, and nipples are available including color matched rim decals. Every custom wheel set is carefully designed for each customer’s particular needs. Contact us for a consultation and a quote.Request Custom Quote
- Proprietary Rodeo 2.0 650b Carbon wheelset design
- Small batch hand built by Magnetic Wheel Co.
- Hookless bead profile with reinforced impact surfaces for adventure bike use
- Bead lock profile to prevent burps and leaks and makes mounting possible with only a floor pump on many models of tubeless tires.
- 30mm deep mid depth rim
- 400 gram rim weight
- 24.5mm internal width
- 30.5mm external width
- Sapim Race spokes standard; optional upgrade to Sapim CX-Ray
- Sapim brass nipples
- 28h / 28h spoke count
- 1450gr wheelset weight
- Bitex / Rodeo 2.0 custom annodized and 2 side etched centerlock disc hubs.
- Anti-scar, anti strip alloy freehub body resists damage from powerful riders by inserting a hardened stainless steel strip along the length of the freehub body.
- 6 pawl freehub body design ensures maximal engagement.
- Thru axle sizes: 15 x 100mm front, 12 x 142mm rear. Can ship with 12 x 100mm front, or QR front & rear by request — just add a note to your order at checkout.
- Tubeless valves included
- 24mm tubeless rim tape required but not included.
- Tubeless sealant required when running in tubeless configuration.
- Max suggested tubeless PSI is determined by manufacturer of tires. See tire sidewalls for indications.
- XD Drivers bodies are available STANDARD for use with SRAM / eThirteen XD Driver cassettes